The importance of Assam tea
Assam Tea - An Worldwide beverage
There is probably not a single tea lover in this world that hasn't tried Assam tea. Maybe you were not aware that the tea you are drinking comes from Assam because you could not recognize the taste, or the ingredients were simply marked as black tea. However, Assam tea is important ingredient in many black tea blends sold these days. Sometimes it's labeled as Indian tea, sometimes only as black tea.
Assam tea is worldwide famous full-bodied tea with robust flavor produced in the state of Assam in India. It is the largest tea producing area in India, making up to more than 50% of all tea production in the country. Try imagining fields of 304 thousand hectares covered by tea bushes. You probably got the picture.
Assam tea has a long history of almost two hundred years. When British decided to plant their own tea in India, they probably didn't have in mind Assam will grow into enormous tea production state. First, they brought tea from China only to discover a wild plant was already growing there and had a huge potential for further deployment. Assam's tropical monsoon climate makes a perfect weather environment for a tea production.
So why is Assam tea important?
These facts will help you understand it better.
- Almost 1/5 of people in Assam are employed on tea fields. This is a huge number of population living only on tea production.
- Assam is the second most important tea producer in the world, after China. Assam exports a lot of its tea to countries such as Russia, United States, Australia, Iran, and many many others.
- Assam is the land of indegenious tea bush Camellia sinensis var. Assamica.
- Assam's climate is perfect for tea production, and more than 304 thousand hectars of land are covered by tea bushes.
- Assam produces more than 500 million kilograms of tea per year, and only 10% is consumed inside.
- Assam tea is the main ingredient of many morning tea blends.
Without tea, Assam would lose its main industry and many workers would be left without a job, and tea drinkers would be left out of the opportunity to enjoy robust and one of the most popular black teas in the market. That would surely leave an enormous mark on tea drinking habits in the whole world. Can you imagine world without Assam tea? We surely cannot. Check out our offer of purely organic Assam delights.
- Tags: Assam Tea
- Dhrubajyoti Bormahalia